Service Unit Billing (SUB) is the method used to process internal billings within the University and can provide more detailed information regarding services or items purchased. The SUB is loaded directly into the system by the user in the Recharge Units (Service Unit) or office doing the billing, enabling them to be in charge of the timing of the receipt of their revenue.
Who Should Use Service Unit Billings (SUB)
- Recharge Units (Service Units): Units that provide goods or services to other university units or for various activities within their own unit. The direct costs for providing the goods or services can be easily and accurately identified and must be billed using an approved rate with the intention of breaking even. This will normally involve recording the costs and recharge revenue in the auxiliaryinternal services fund (52000). If you need to establish a new recharge rate, please see Submitting a Recharge Rate.
- Units that Rebill: Units that move an original cost of a good or service from the department that was initially charged to the department that used the good or service. This is recorded by reallocating the expense.
Understanding the Language and Terms Used
A Service Unit Billing (SUB) is a tool to bill an expense to other units which have requested a good or service from the service unit or to share an expense incurred in one unit across one or more other units. This generates a voucher in the procurement system to the unit being billed, and credits the unit doing the billing.
- Service Units (Recharge) exist to provide a service or good to other parts of the university.
- Sharing an expense (Rebill) may include things such as units working together to order 'Product X', which is to be shared across the units. This may be done to generate economies of scale on the order.
How to Contact SSC
To Request a New Recharge Supplier or to terminate your existing recharge supplier:
Email Financial Analysis at firstname.lastname@example.org for a new supplier and recharge rate
For inquiries related to processing a service unit billing, or to terminate your existing rebill supplier:
Call the SSC Accounting Customer Service Team at 734-615-2000, press #3, press #4
Email the Shared Services Center at email@example.com
- Click Service Unit Billing Template after going to this link: Service Unit Billing Excel Load Template
- AC300 Service Unit Billing
- ITS Service Unit Billing Overview
- Recharge Information (Office of Financial Analysis)
Supplier Based Reports
- FN06 Procurement SUB Customers by Supplier
- FN06 Procurement SUB Supplier 13 Month Billing Trend by Fund/Dept/Program
- FN06 Procurement SUB Supplier Multi Year Billing Trend by Supplier or P/G
Customer Based Reports
- FN06 Procurement SUB Recap by Fund/Dept/Program/PG
- FN06 Procurement SUB Voucher 13 Month Trend by Dept or Dept Grp
- FN06 Procurement SUB Customer Recharge Trend by Single Supplier
- FN06 Procurement Service Unit Billing Detail Report
- FN06 Procurement Supplier Utilization by Dept or Dept Grp
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need to take training before I receive access to process Service Unit Billings?
Yes AC300 is required before access can be granted.
- Can I back date a Service Unit Billing load file?
No, since the SUB load file is loaded into the Procurement system and is processed like a voucher payment.
- When is the last day to load a SUB file?
The last calendar day of the month is the very last day you can load your SUB files.