How can we help you?

Bill an External Customer

Contact Billing
  • 734-615-2000 press 3, press 1
  • M-F, 8:00AM-5:00PM

Step 1: Information Gathering

In order to send a bill to a customer, you will need to ensure an up-to-date customer record exists. Remember to include this information to help expedite your request:

  • Who, where, what you are billing.
  • Quantity, price per unit, and other applicable information.
  • Department ShortCode or Project Grant where you want the money applied.
  • Account code.

Step 2:  Select a Billing Type Template

Type 1:  General Receivables (XLSM)

This template is used to bill external customers. This is not for student or patient billing.

Type 2:  Various Sponsor Receivable (XLSM)

This template is used for U-M department-approved recharge bills. Bills are sent to customers outside the university, and linked to an ‘N’ non-federal project grant number.

Example:  A department at the university sells specialty mice used for research purposes to other universities. The department has a project grant that was established for recharge purposes since they often sell the mice on a regular basis to many universities. This billing template will be used to invoice multiple customers external to the university who are purchasing the mice.

Type 3:  Clinical Trials

Clinical trials are research studies in which human subjects are assigned to one or more interventions to evaluate the effects. This billing template allows for invoices to be created related to a specific clinical trial that is associated with a project grant. This billing template is for Funds 20000 or 25000 only.

Overview Chart of Billing Types:

Clinical Trial General Various
Type Invoice driven by a clinical trial and department sends supporting documentation Billed to an external customer Recharge rate on file to invoice for services/supplies (one project billing multiple entities)
This template is only used for Sponsored Clinical Trials for which the billing is directed by the department. Used to bill an external customer
Invoice Template Invoice Support Template General Customer billing template Various Customer billing template
eForm Clinical Trial Billing Request General Customer Billing Request Various Sponsor Billing Request
Fund: 20000, 25000 All other funds, restrictions on 30000 fund 25000

Sponsored Receivable Billing
(no template needed)

At times, the university signs a grant or contract that indicates a sponsor will provide funds for work the university is doing. It is critical that the work is done in accordance with the agreement. Project grants are initiated at the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP) which provides information to the SSC to ensure invoices are submitted in accordance with the agreement. Contact your customer service representative if you have questions regarding the billing set up.

Viewing and Tracking the Bill

Once your invoice has been processed, you can view it in WebNow (Perceptive Content) under the Accounts Receivable drawer. To identify the invoice number, review the Statement of Activity AR Billing Detail Report, or review the Statement of Receivables Aging Reports. To check for outstanding invoices go to our Collections page.