We serve administrators, faculty, and staff by providing information relative to employment processing (postings, offers, and onboarding, etc); background checks; new employee orientation; verification of employment; reinstatement and credit for prior service.
on the appropriate links below (uniqname, password and Duo two-factor authentication may be required):
- Faculty/Academic Hires
- Student Temporary Appointments
- Non-student Temporary Appointments
- Regular Hires
- Graduate Students
Questions? Email us or call 734-615-2000 press 1, press 5
Email us for assistance with hiring activities including: job postings, job offers, status updates, employee validation, and employment finalization.
Per University of Michigan Standard Practice Guide policies, all employees must consent to a criminal background check in order to accept employment. An electronic background check will be requested from an affiliated vendor.
For information pertaining to the the Children on Campus background checks, view the Children on Campus webpage.
If you have any questions and would rather talk to one of our verification of employment experts email us or call 734-615-2000 press 1, press 4.
If you used to work at the University of Michigan and now work for the state of Michigan, you can receive credit for the time you worked at U-M for your eligibility to retire from the state. However, service with the State of Michigan does not count as service to retire from U-M.
For eligibility requirements and forms, contact:
Michigan Department of Management and Budget
Office of Retirement Services
P.O. Box 30171
Lansing , MI 48909-7671
If you work for a state other than Michigan, check with your current employer to determine if they will allow you to receive credit to retire based on your time worked at the university and what information they require to confirm employment. Send the following to the University of Michigan Payroll Office:
- A letter requesting verification of your employment and the approximate dates when you worked for the university.
- The State of Michigan form to be completed. If you are applying for credit to retire from another state’s retirement system, include their form or a letter stating the information they are requesting.
- The Payroll Office charges $15 to research your records and provide verification of your employment. Make your $15 check payable to “The University of Michigan” and include it with your letter and form.
- Mail everything to:The University of Michigan
G395 Wolverine Tower
3003 S. State Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1279
The Payroll Office will confirm that you were employed at the University of Michigan based on any time periods when you received a paycheck from the university. Payroll will also confirm whether any deductions were taken for the retirement plan. Allow three to four weeks for processing.
How to Submit an Employment Verification Request
Current employees can submit an eform request in order for the SSC to complete their employment verification request.
Please make sure you are logged-in with your University uniqname/password.
Request a written letter
Complete the following steps to create a letter verifying your employment with the University.
- Complete the eform.
- Select the template that matches the information you need. The SSC will create the letter based on your selection.
Template 1 – employment dates & current position
Template 2 – employment dates, current position, and full-time OR part-time
Template 3 – employment dates, current position, full-time OR part-time, and salary
Template 4 – specific position & dates
Template 5 – last paycheck received
Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
- Complete this eform
- Upload completed page 1 of the PSLF Employment Certification Form and/or Application for Forgiveness.
- The Shared Services Center will complete page 2 and will distribute it directly to the Department of Education for processing.
- You will receive a copy of the completed verification.
Department of Health & Human Services (DHS)
- Complete this eform.
- Upload your DHS form in order for the SSC to verify your employment per Department of Health & Human Services needs.
Click here if you need a copy of the DHS form.
- Complete this eform.
- Upload your Perkins Loan form for employment verification purposes.
Do you have an employment verification form that needs completion and is not one of those above? If so, please fill out this eform and upload your form(s). We’ll make sure it is completed.
Former Employees & Other Organizations
The SSC is actively working to expedite the verification of employment process using eforms, but we are not quite ready yet. Please submit your verification of employment requests via U.S. Mail or fax to the address below:
SSC Verification of Employment
3003 S. State Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
In efforts to keep personal data safe, we cannot accept any verification of employment requests through email.
734-615-2000 press 1, press 4.
We cannot process any verification of employment through email and we cannot provide information for University Relationships that are: Affiliated, Sponsored Non-Employee Taxable Services, or PeoplePay. In addition please be aware that data prior to 2001 is limited.
Verification of employment can include a broad ranges of requests, some of which we are are not able to validate within the constraints of the university policies and systems.
Types of Employment Verifications provided
- Home Mortgages
- Housing/Rental Applications
- Basic Background Employment Checks
- Friend of the court
- Department of Human Services
- Treasury Department
- Social Security Administration
- Federal Investigations Processing Center (FIPC)
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness Paperwork (PSLF)’
- Verification of future employment
Types of Employment Verifications the SSC is unable to provide
- Academic Appointments, specific information on appointments
- UM Student Verifications
- Evaluation Questions
- Credentialing/Privileging Requests for Medical Staff
- Visa Letters/Travel Letters
- Verification of future employment not available in Wolverine Access
- Continuation of employment or future earnings
- Specific Job Descriptions or Duties
If you are requesting a Employment Verification Letter, you must complete the Verification Release Form (PDF). This form:
- Can be used for both past and current employment
- Can be used for earnings for specific years (1997- present only)
- Can be used for job titles, salaries
- Applies to full time or part time employees
Verification of Employment from Third Parties
When a third party needs to verify past or present employment, please include date of birth, social security number or partial social security number. For non-governmental third parties, we require an “authorization to release” signature from the past or present employee.
Step 1: Review the qualification guidelines you feel as though you are considered eligible
Step 3: Fax or mail the completed form to the appropriate HR Department (contact information listed at the bottom of the form) DO NOT EMAIL as this form contains sensitive information
Step 4: HR department will initiate communications to the employee regarding eligibility decisions
We regret to inform you that the eNotification system is no longer available. We are working hard to develop a replacement application which is expected to be in available Spring 2019.
Also, please remember that email notifications, with a direct link to the Time & Leave WorkCenter, can be sent to an employee’s supervisor or delegate approver each time an employee submits time in Wolverine Access. Please visit the Time Approver and Delegate User Resources in MyLinc for many helpful simulations and step-by-step procedures for approving time and managing approval notifications.
If you have any questions, please contact the Time and Leave team at the Shared Services Center by calling 734-615-2000, press 2, press 2 or emailing us.