Note: Due to the sensitive information on the PSLF forms (i.e. SSN, DOB, address, etc.), please do NOT directly email your PSLF forms for completion. Please use the instructions outlined below to submit your requests. All PSLF requests submitted through email will be returned.
If you have submitted your request through the PSLF Help Tool, you do NOT need to send an email to notify the Shared Services Center that you have submitted your form.
What is the PSLF program? Am I eligible?
The Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program is a federal loan forgiveness program available to individuals with federal student loans and are also working for a government or not-for-profit organization. Under the PSLF program, you may qualify for federal loan forgiveness by meeting specific criteria outlined on the Office of Federal Student Aid website.
Completing the Employment Certification Form (ECF)
The U-M Shared Services Center can complete the employer portion of the PSLF Employment Certification Form (ECF). You can submit the PSLF form digitally through the PSLF Help Tool or manually, using a paper form that can be submitted online through an SSC eForm or faxed to the SSC. Please see the following instructions to submit:
- Access the PSLF Help Tool from the Office of Federal Student Aid’s website.
- Log into the Federal Student Aid (FSA) website using your account username and password (FSA ID).
- Follow the instructions on the website to complete your application. Please use the employer information provided below to fill in your application when prompted:
- Employer Identification Number (EIN): 386006309
- Employer Name: Regents of the University of Michigan OR University of Michigan
- Employer Address: 3003 S. State St., Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1299
- Digitally sign your form in the PSLF Help Tool, then request your employer’s electronic signature.
- Employer’s Email Address: email@example.com
Note: You do not need to send an email to notify the Shared Services Center that you have submitted your form. The Shared Services Center has a team dedicated to completing various employment verification requests, including PSLFs. By using the proper email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) in your application, your request will be sent to the appropriate area for processing. Sending additional emails may cause a delay in reviewing and processing your request.
- Once the application is received by the Shared Services Center, your employment records will be reviewed and your employment will be verified. If there are errors or discrepancies in the application, or additional periods of employment that may be eligible for the PSLF program are identified, you will be notified. Once the Shared Services Center has digitally signed the application, your form will be electronically submitted to the PSLF servicer for processing, and you will receive two emails to notify you that the forms have been completed: one from Federal Student Aid, and one from the Shared Services Center.
- Complete page 1 of the PSLF ECF (sections I & II). Sign the completed page using a valid signature, and date the form. Incomplete forms, forms dated older than 90 days of submission, or forms with an invalid signature cannot be processed and will be returned. See the Office of Federal Student Aid’s website for more information.
- Before submitting your signed document, confirm that the document is saved in a supported document format (e.g. PDF, JPG, JPEG, PNG, doc, docx). Documents with an unsupported file format that cannot be opened (e.g. heic, msg, etc.) will be returned.
- Complete the appropriate eForm and attach your signed document.
What happens after I’ve submitted my ECF for Certification?
The employer section of the ECF will be completed by the U-M Shared Services Center, then sent to the Department of Education. The Shared Services Center does not determine eligibility for the PSLF program and does not receive status updates after submission. You can check the status of a submitted PSLF on MOHELA’s website, or by calling MOHELA at 855-265-4038.
As of July 2022, MOHELA became the student loan servicer for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF). Borrowers pursuing PSLF will be transferred to MOHELA upon the approval of their submitted PSLF form. Further questions regarding an application completed by the SSC should be directed to the Department of Education / MOHELA at 855-265-4038 or by using your MOHELA account online.
Additional PSLF Resources
Office of Federal Student Aid
- Eligible Loans
- Qualifying Payments
- Qualifying Repayment Plans
- PSLF Process
- Using the PSLF Help Tool
- Submitting a PSLF Reconsideration
- PSLF FAQ
MOHELA (Official Servicer of Federal Student Aid)
- PSLF Overview
- Seven Steps for PSLF Success
- Check the Status of Submitted PSLF Forms
- Contact a PSLF Specialist
- PSLF Discharge Information
- PSLF FAQ