How can we help you?

Employment & Recruitment

Contact HR Customer Care
  • 734-615-2000 press 1, press 5
  • M-F, 8:00AM-5:00PM

We serve administrators, faculty, and staff by providing information relative to employment processing (postings, offers, and onboarding, etc); background checks; new employee orientation; verification of employment; reinstatement and credit for prior service.

For detailed instructions on how to process the following types of hires, click

on the appropriate links below (uniqname, password and Duo two-factor authentication may be required):

Questions? Email us or call 734-615-2000 press 1, press 5

Email us for assistance with hiring activities including: job postings, job offers, status updates, employee validation, and employment finalization.

Per University of Michigan Standard Practice Guide policies, all employees must consent to a criminal background check in order to accept employment. An electronic background check will be requested from an affiliated vendor.


For information pertaining to the the Children on Campus background checks, view the  Children on Campus webpage.

Please direct all new hires to the New Employee Orientation website for information pertaining to day of logistics, etc. To make any changes to the details surrounding the date and/or timeline of your a new hire’s orientation, email us.

Verification of employment is a process used to review and verify employment history often used by banks, mortgage lenders and government agencies. We offer verification of employment services for both present and past employees including Ann Arbor, Flint and Dearborn campuses, the health system, retirees, and temporary employees.

If you have any questions and would rather talk to one of our verification of employment experts email us or call 734-615-2000 press 1, press 4.  All verification of employment requests must be submitted by fax or U.S. mail:

SSC Verification of Employment
3003 S. State Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48108

FAX:  734-936-9792

734-615-2000 press 1, press 4.


We cannot process any verification of employment through email and we cannot provide information for University Relationships that are: Affiliated, Sponsored Non-Employee Taxable Services, or PeoplePay.  In addition please be aware that data prior to 2001 is limited.

Verification of employment can include a broad ranges of requests, some of which we are are not able to validate within the constraints of the university policies and systems.

Types of Employment Verifications provided

  • Home Mortgages
  • Housing/Rental Applications
  • Basic Background Employment Checks
  • Friend of the court
  • Department of Human Services
  • Treasury Department
  • Social Security Administration
  • Federal Investigations Processing Center (FIPC)
  • Public Service Loan Forgiveness Paperwork (PSLF)’
  • Verification of future employment

Types of Employment Verifications the SSC is unable to provide

  • Academic Appointments, specific information on appointments
  • UM Student Verifications
  • Creditworthiness
  • Evaluation Questions
  • Credentialing/Privileging Requests for Medical Staff
  • Visa Letters/Travel Letters
  • Verification of future employment not available in Wolverine Access
  • Continuation of employment or future earnings
  • Specific Job Descriptions or Duties

If you are requesting a Employment Verification Letter, you must complete the Verification Release Form (PDF). This form:

  • Can be used for both past and current employment
  • Can be used for earnings for specific years (1997- present only)
  • Can be used for job titles, salaries
  • Applies to full time or part time employees

Verification of Employment from Third Parties

When a third party needs to verify past or present employment, please include date of birth, social security number or partial social security number.  For non-governmental third parties, we require an “authorization to release” signature from the past or present employee.

As returning faculty or staff you may be eligible for reinstatement of your original hire, or for credit for prior years of service.

Step 1: Review the qualification guidelines you feel as though you are considered eligible

Step 2:Request for Reinstatement or Credit for Prior Years of Service form (PDF)

Step 3: Fax or mail the completed form to the appropriate HR Department (contact information listed at the bottom of the form) DO NOT EMAIL as this form contains sensitive information

Step 4: HR department will initiate communications to the employee regarding eligibility decisions

Request email notification for time entry and approval (eForm)
Time entry and approval email notifications can be used to:

  • Notify employees who have not yet reported their time the morning prior to the payroll cutoff
  • Notify an approver who has not yet approved time the afternoon prior to the payroll cutoff
  • Notify to an employee who missed reporting time

Before submitting your request, be sure to have the:

  • Static or Dynamic group codes for the employee
  • Static or Dynamic group for the last approver
  • Department ID for the employee

Release authorizations must be signed/dated within six months of receipt unless otherwise stated within the release

If you have questions call 734-615-2000, press 2 or email us